Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Nestle Philippines Video: Wellness Exercise "Push Ups"
The following exercises were chosen on the basis of the body parts they will improve. Seven body parts were identified and two exercises were chosen per body part. These exercises may be performed one after the other, in sequence, during one training session, allowing a minute or two of rest in between sets, and around 2 to 3 minutes rest in between exercises. OR, in several bouts of one to two exercises per bout in a day or on consecutive days until all exercises in the roster are done, making one cycle of exercises. After which a new cycle of the exercises can be started.
It may also be done in circuit fashion, doing one set of each of the exercises, one after the other, without resting. Rest is only allowed after all exercises are done one set each. A two to three minute rest is then taken before starting a new circuit. Two to three circuits or sets maybe done.
For optimal gains, do two to three sets, two to three times weekly, on non-consecutive days. One may also choose to do a particular exercise more often if one wishes to emphasize on a particular body part.
Consistently doing the exercises will provide improvements to one's exercise and functional capacity. The exercises will be easier to do and gains will plateau. In this case, one may increase the number of repetitions by two repetitions each time until 20 repetitions per set is reached. After that, resistance may be increased by adding medicine balls to the movements, or in case they are already being used, wielding heavier and bigger medicine balls.
Since the exercises are of a light index of difficulty, a warm up is optional. If so desired, it may consist of a two to three minute walk, 10 to 15 knee bends, and eight to ten repetitions of single leg toe touches for each leg.
• Support the upper body with both hands, (shoulder-width apart, with fingers pointing forward) and the lower body with your feet. Trunk should be normally aligned , as in the standing position. Women may support their lower body with their knees in case they have difficulty maintaining trunk position
• Flex the elbows, lowering the body until almost touching the ground
• Then raise yourself back up to the starting position
• While doing so, make sure the hips go up at the same time as the shoulders. This may be done by tightening the abdominal area when pushing up.
• Do eight to ten repetitions
More wellness exercise videos at http://www.youtube.com/nestleph